Re: Why are mail servers not also key servers?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:48:04AM -0600, Doug Royer wrote:
> I would like to see an extension so that the MUA could contact the
> destination server (perhaps their MX record host) and get a users PUBLIC
> key. Perhaps (just an idea - no screaming please) a new TXT record type that
> points to the domains PubKey server.

How's this going to work when the MUA is:

	- running on a host that's not connected to the 'net
	- running on a host that can't connect to MX's (because
		of local firewall rules)
	- running on a host that can't connect to MX's (because
		they're unreachable or down)
	- running on a host that can't connect to MX's (because
		they no longer exist)
	- running on a host that can connect to the MX's but can't
		get the user's public key because the user is no
		longer valid
	- and so on

There are way too many failure modes here that will render messages that
have already been received either temporarily or permanently unreadable.

---rsk