Re: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:31:41AM -0800, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 4/11/17 9:18 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> > One could give a lot of advice for design of protocols with
> > "friendly" middle boxes.  Merely saying "hey, they are good" is not
> > enough.  We might want to revisit end-to-end protocol design as well
> > (e.g., maybe ICMP isn't working so well; what can we do?).
>
> There have been a number of efforts to provide mechanisms for
> applications to communicate explicitly with middleboxes.  None
> has gotten any traction, and for the moment it looks like
> anything that requires changes to middleboxes along those
> lines is unlikely to be successful.  That said:

Sure, but if we wanted to have an Informational RFC describing all the
goodness and badness and history of middle-box-aware protocools, that
might not be bad, and we could detail all those protocols that failed to
get traction and why.  I think such a document would end up favoring
end-to-end protocols, even if it didn't start out with that as a goal :)

> > IMO the IETF must not publish draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits as
> > it is today.
>
> No, clearly not.  I'm actually not sure I see a lot of benefit
> to publishing a more balanced document, either, in the sense that
> it's not likely to lead anybody to do anything differently.

I'm not advocating for publishing a more balanced document.  I only
advocate not publishing draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits.  If the
authors come back with a more balanced document, I might be willing to
support it, though I can say right now that I would expect the result to
favor the end-to-end model, and if it ended up advocating middle boxes
much more intelligent than routers then I'd be surprised.

Nico