RE: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits (was RE: Review of draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-09)

Hi Stephen,

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

[Med] "beneficial" is derived from the initial request that motivated this draft (excerpt from the abstract):

   At IETF97, at a meeting regarding the Path Layer UDP Substrate (PLUS)
   protocol, a request was made for documentation about the benefits
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   that might be provided by permitting middleboxes to have some
   visibility to transport-layer information.

 When the abstract
> says "This document summarizes benefits" then I cannot interpret
> that as other than being intended to justify the uses described.

[Med] I would prefer if we can avoid to "interpret", but raise questions to the authors if there is a doubt. The document does not provide a recommendation or claims this is the only way to achieve the technical goals. It does only reflect some deployment reality together with some motivations.

> A fairly thorough re-write to aim to describe the pros and cons
> would be a different and more useful document.

[Med] There are already many RFCs that discuss the issues/cons (I can cite this RFC I co-authored https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6269 for the CGN case). What is needed IMHO is something else: understand the requirements that led to deploy some of these functions.

 Similarly a draft
> that strives to neutrally describe existing reality could maybe
> be useful (*)

[Med] This is the intent of draft-dolson.

 but one that only describes middlebox friends with
> "benefits" is not IMO beneficial ;-)

[Med] The intent is not to "sell something" but to understand the technical needs so that hopefully we can have a reference for future solution-oriented discussions.
If a given function can be provided without involving an on-path device, this would be great for operators (optimize CAPEX/OPEX is our motto).