Re: [Json] secdir review of draft-ietf-jsonbis-rfc7159bis-03

On 12 Mar 2017, at 10:14, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anybody recall why we removed <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4627#section-3>:

I seem to remember that the advice simply is no longer working since JSON was extended from 4627 to 7159.  Instead of trying to come up with an updated algorithm, the WG recognized that this is not a real-world problem.

If 7159bis is supposed to be an Internet Standard, it should focus on the variants that actually interoperate.  Re-encoding JSON into UTF-16 (or UTF-32) is not really interoperable with today’s implementations*).

Grüße, Carsten

*) (Given the large number of JSON implementations, I don’t doubt you will find two implementations that do interoperate on this.  It is not the widely interoperable “JSON” thing, though.)