Re: RANT: posting IDs more often -- more is better -- why are we so shy?

On 3/1/2017 8:04 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
I understand that in academia, they never like letting half-baked ideas out,
and so the -00 that we see from academics are often overdue and overly
polished.
FWIW, industry often doesn't let out ideas until filing preliminary patents, which has a similar effect.

AFAICT, the speed of an -00 is more tightly correlated to the motivation for the document.

When a WG has a known need for a particular doc, the -00 comes out earlier (pull model).

When an idea is driven by the doc itself (push model), it's more useful to have enough in place to have a useful discussion about.

That said, I really wish that -00s that aren't pull-driven would try to stay under 5 pages of content. Dumping dozens of pages and asking for feedback isn't a good way to start a discussion.

Joe