RE: [Spasm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

John,

I have used and have seen used the term of US-ASCII to refer to 7-bit ASCII
as opposed to the full 8-bit ASCII.  I think that this generally makes sense
and therefore am unsure that the term should be removed.

Jim

RFC
> Editor.  Most of what follows is nit-picking, but significant parts of it
may
> affect the comprehensibility of the document and hence the ability of
> implementers, working it good faith, to conform and create interoperable
> implementations.
>
> (1) The term "EAI" was the hastily-chosen short name/ abbreviation for a
> WG.  It is not the name of a protocol, system, technique, etc.  The
relevant
> standards-track RFCs are very clear that, if a reference is made to the
> relevant SMTP extension and associated protocols, the term should be
> "SMTPUTF8".  "Internationalized Email Addresses" in the title is ok, but
there
> should be no IANA registry, subregistry, or module that uses the "EAI"
> terminology.
>
> (2) The base document [RFC5280] is referenced as depending on RFC 5322
> addresses.  822-addresses (used in message headers,
> etc.) are not the same as 821-addresses (used in the SMTP envelope).  One
> can make a case for either, but neither is a proper subset of the other.
This is
> important in this context because the document then talks about extending
> 5280 to accommodate RFC 6531-style addresses.  Those are envelope-style
> addresses, not message header-style ones.  I think the protocol specifics
may
> be ok due to the language in the third (" This document further
refines..."
> and subsequent paragraphs in Section 3, but the explanation could easily
be
> a source of confusion and may need some clarification.
>
> Note that, as proposals are kicked around that move information from the
> mailbox name to the descriptive phrase (which does not exist in envelope
> names) during mailing list expansion or some models of post-delivery
> SMTPUTF8 "downgrading", any confusion about this issue may become
> important (again, the I-D explicitly prohibits the phrase, but only after
talking
> a lot about 822-style addresses).
>
> (3) A MUST NOT requirement on the use of A-labels has often been
> problematic because, as far as a protocol that does not support IDNA is
> concerned, they are ordinary labels conforming to the "preferred syntax"
of
> RFC 1034/1035 (commonly known as "LDH syntax").  As important, it is
easily
> possible to construct strings that look (lexically) like A-labels but are
actually
> not
> A-labels.   If the desire is to prevent the use of anything but
> normal (i.e., not IDNA) LDH labels and U-labels, the restriction that is
> probably needed is either "no label starting in 'xn--'"
> or "no label starting in two letters followed by two hyphen-minus
> characters".  Requiring NR-LDH restrictions probably solves the problem
> (although I'm not sure what "solely ASCII character labels" means -- see
(2)
> above) but requires much more specific knowledge of the IDNA2008 protocol
> set (particularly RFC 5890 in this case) than I predict readers of this
document
> will have.  See RFC 5890 and 5894 for more discussion on this issue and
other
> recent correspondence about confusing and contradictory usage of "IDN"
> and "IDNA" and the associated risks for additional details and risk
> descriptions.
>
> (4) The second paragraph of Section 4 appears to me to be correct.
> However, for reasons related to those discussed above, these are not
strictly
> "conversion" because the operations may fail (and will fail if the
U-labels or
> A-labels are not strictly valid).  It would probably be useful to be
explicit that
> one of the effects of this definition is to absolutely prohibit domains
that do
> not conform to IDNA2008 from appearing in certificates (IMO, that is A
Good