Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

> > I'm sorry, I'm wondering which word in my recent message that said
> > "I'm not aware of any generally available running code that will
> > be changed in even one instruction by the final text - that is indeed
> > a requirement for advancement to Internet Standard."
> > is hard to understand.
>
> Help he understand, then. There is widely-deployed code that assumes that
> the interface ID is 64 and does not work on anything other than 64 bit
> prefix lengths. Currently that code is correct on all unicast space. If you
> change RFC 4291, won't that code be incorrect?

Since there are plenty of addresses with non 64bit IIDs in use, isn't
that code by definition *already* broken? I don't see how changing the
4291bis document to reflect operational reality makes the code any
more broken.

Steinar Haug, AS2116