Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 21, 2017, at 18:19, Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Job Snijders <job@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I've looked at all configured IPv6 addresses on AS 2914 equipment.
The above percentages come from grepping through configurations of
thousands of interconnections. I'm confident that other networks will
show similar prefix length distributions.

"Thousands of interconnections" are not really relevant given that we're well into the hundreds of millions of IPv6 hosts on residential or mobile connections that provide one or more /64s.

It can equally be said that the millions of IPv6 hosts don't matter either, because without those thousands of interconnections the millions of hosts aren't connected to each other or the Internet.  But both perspectives are equally correct, its not one or the other, it's both, they are interdependent on each other.  Without hosts there is no need for the interconnections, and without the interconnections there wouldn't be millions of hosts in the first place.