Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

On 22/02/2017 11:58, Job Snijders wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 11:44:42AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>>> When someone utters the phrase "it is X because it is X", the rhetorical
>>> imperative seems to be to dismiss further conversation (perhaps any
>>> internal dialogue as well, which may be the primary purpose). "It is
>>> what it is" therefore, there’s nothing more to be said about it...
>>>
>>> Except when it's not 64 bits?
>>
>> That wasn't quite my intention. I just wanted to underline that
>> (like it or not) it was set at 64 bits many years ago and a lot
>> has been built on that.

>>> I've looked at all configured IPv6 addresses on AS 2914 equipment.
>>> Interestingly enough, the below table is a reflection of not only NTT's
>>> own addressing, and (since AS2914's core function is to connect networks
>>> to each other) also of its peers and customers. In the end, whatever
>>> makes the thing work is the thing that will be configured.
>>>
>>> 	/127 - 22%
>>> 	/126 - 52%
>>> 	/125 - 0,9%
>>> 	/124 - 0,5%
>>> 	/120 - 0,04%
>>> 	/112 - 0,02%
>>> 	/64  - 23%
>>
>> Thanks, that's interesting. So 23% of the devices might have
>> RFC4291-compliant IIDs. The others are configured with 128 bit
>> IPv6 addresses. Is that correct?
>
> The percentage is not the percentage of devices, but the percentage of
> interconnections. In all instances the addresses are staticly
> configured.

OK, but from the outside I can't know that for the /64 subnets.

> Back to my example from earlier, to make sure we are on the same page,
> this is output from a standard Linux machine:
>
>     job@tardis:~$ sudo ip -6 addr add 2001:728:1808:1::21/126 dev eth1
>     job@tardis:~$ sudo ip -6 addr show dev eth1
>     3: eth1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qlen 1000
>         inet6 2001:728:1808:1::21/126 scope global
>            valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>         inet6 fe80::20d:b9ff:fe41:d4f5/64 scope link
>            valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
>     job@tardis:~$
>
> Most network engineers would call the above example "configuring a /126
> on an interface" - but am I understanding correctly that in your
> taxonomy you would call this "configuring a 128 bit IPv6 address"?

Well that does two things: configures a 128 bit address (as Chris points
out, *all* addresses are 128 bits, duh) and associates a prefix length
with it, which afaik is optional. But the interface has already
auto-configured a link-local address, with a 64 bit IID. So yes, that's
exactly what I mean.

>> That being so, perhaps the words that are missing are
>> "The IID length requirement does not apply to interfaces that
>> are explicitly configured with 128 bit addresses." Because the
>> requirement is meaningless for such interfaces.
>
> The terminology might confuse some people, as in common language when
> one configures "a /128", or 'a 128 bit address', it usually means you
> are configuring something like a loopback address.
>
> Perhaps:
>
>     "The IID length requirement does not apply to interfaces that are
>     explicitly configured without autoconfiguration."
>
> (perhaps even remove the word 'explicitly')
>
>     "The IID length requirement does not apply to interfaces that are
>     configured without autoconfiguration."

Personally I think that's right. (However, if you manually configure
an address that matches a pre-existing prefix announced by an RA,
it will be assumed to belong to that prefix. I've done that by
hand on Windows, not sure I've done it in Linux.)

   Brian