Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc4291bis-07.txt> (IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture) to Internet Standard

On 16/02/2017 10:34, otroan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Brian,

>>> If your statement is that we only have the 64 bit boundary because of SLAAC I believe you are wrong.
>>> Can you provide any support for that view?
>>
>> No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that SLAAC - by design - would work
>> with any reasonable IID length, but we've chosen to fix it at 64.
>>
>>> If I understand you correctly, your proposal is to change the fixed 64 bit Interface-ID length in IPv6 to a variable one, with an exception for links where SLAAC is used.
>>
>> No. At least not in the foreseeable future. But we should allow for the fact that if
>> prefixes between /64 and /127 are used, routing needs to just work. That's all.
>>
>>> How do you practically suggest to do this, given the issues raised in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7421#section-4.1 ?
>>
>> I'm not suggesting any change to normal subnets, where all those issues apply.
>> I can't see how /64 can be changed for them, without changing a great many
>> things.
>>
>>> Do you think this change is appropriate in the context of advancing 4291?
>>
>> I don't think I have suggested text that would lead to a single instruction in
>> running code being changed.
>
> CURRENT (RFC4291bis):
>
>    IPv6 unicast routing is based on prefixes of any valid length up to
>    128 [BCP198].  For example, [RFC6164] standardises 127 bit prefixes
>    on inter-router point-to-point links.  However, the Interface ID of
>    all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary value
>    000, is required to be 64 bits long.  The rationale for the 64 bit
>    boundary in IPv6 addresses can be found in [RFC7421]
>
> PROPOSED:
>
>     IPv6 unicast routing is based on prefixes of any valid length up to
>    128 [BCP198].  For example, [RFC6164] standardises 127 bit prefixes
>    on inter-router point-to-point links.  However, the Interface ID of unicast
>    addresses used for Stateless Address Autoconfiguration [RFC4862] is required
>    to be 64 bits long. The rationale for the 64 bit
>    boundary in IPv6 addresses can be found in [RFC7421]
>

> My reading of the proposed text, which certainly may be wrong, given that English is not my first language, is that it leaves the Interface-ID length of links _not_ using SLAAC undefined, i.e. not fixed at 64. Is there any other way to interpret this sentence?
>
> The proposed text appears to make the Interface-ID length an operational choice.

Ah, yes, there is a slight loophole there (but I think that somewhere else we
require all nodes to implement SLAAC, so maybe there isn't a real loophole.)
I would certainly agree to wording that closes that loophole. But the anomalies
people noted around the '000' subset need to fixed.

    Brian