Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

Viktor:

RFC 5280 says:

   A name constraint for Internet mail addresses MAY specify a
   particular mailbox, all addresses at a particular host, or all
   mailboxes in a domain.  To indicate a particular mailbox, the
   constraint is the complete mail address.  For example,
   "root@xxxxxxxxxxx" indicates the root mailbox on the host
   "example.com".  To indicate all Internet mail addresses on a
   particular host, the constraint is specified as the host name.  For
   example, the constraint "example.com" is satisfied by any mail
   address at the host "example.com".  To specify any address within a
   domain, the constraint is specified with a leading period (as with
   URIs).  For example, ".example.com" indicates all the Internet mail
   addresses in the domain "example.com", but not Internet mail
   addresses on the host "example.com”.

I think you are talking about constraints on addresses at a particular host and constraints on mailboxes in a domain, but not constraints on a particular mailbox.  Please correct me is I got that wrong.

I think you are suggesting that any A-label in the rfc822Name be converted to a U-label, and the result is used to constrain the SmtpUtf8Name.

If people like your suggestion, then a constraint for a particular mailbox will still require a SmtpUtf8Name, so I think the mechanism described in the draft is needed.  It would just be used in combination with the above.

Russ