Re: tools forum idea for IETF 98

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alia Atlas <akatlas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > There have been some discussions about having a meeting at IETF 98 to
    > discuss existing experimental tools and encourage discussion among
    > those working on tools to handle specific issues. The basic meeting
    > description is

I'm excited by this.
I probably know a dozen tools, but I don't know that I know about them.
Or rather, I'm probably ignorant that others don't know about them :-)

Exactly - and for some of them, it has been a couple years at least where the knowledge
and use isn't spreading organically.

Which tools are you thinking of?   Personally, I just started writing a draft in markdown & then
discovered that the WYSWYG web translator isn't working for me and poking at github led to lots of dependencies.

    > Agenda: 30 minutes of new tools lightning talks
    > 60 minutes of small group discussion on different tool areas

Scheduling for this might be difficult.

Suggestion: once we get a few lightning talks in the "can", that each
            WG chairs luncheon start with one such <5minute talk.

A goal of the small group discussion is to have folks find others interested in the same
topic, understand what might be useful, and perhaps be motivated to do some work on them
or volunteer to try them out as they are developed and so on.

So far, I've gotten a number of volunteers for lightning talks - certainly more than 3 - and
a couple folks willing to facilitate small group discussion, but not specific topics looking
like they have mass.   I'd be happy to see more discussion on this aspect.

I agree that scheduling is going to be tricky.  Options might include a bring-your-own meal slot
or a before-dinner slot.  There's always scheduling it with lots of conflicts like a non-WG-forming
BoF.

The audience isn't just WG chairs, of course, though I do hear your point about having something
on-going about continuing tool experiments.  Let's see if this has enough energy to try once and then see what makes sense afterwards.

Regards,
Alia

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works