Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-6man-rfc1981bis-04.txt> (Path MTU Discovery for IP version 6) to Internet Standard

Lars,

> On Feb 4, 2017, at 10:40 AM, otroan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> Lars,
>
>>> My apologies: my comments were probably misleading. Certainly, this
>>> document is simply RFC1981 to Std, and hence recommending RFC4821 would
>>> be kind of ou of scope, here.
>>>
>>> That say, one might wonder to what extent, and for the general Internet,
>>> RFC1981 can be considered succesful (given the filtering of ICMP
>>> messages). -- i.e., at this point in time you wouldn't rely on RFC1981
>>> (icmp-based pmtud) for path-mtu discovery.
>>
>> What Fernando said: I'm certainly not opposed to lifting this to Standard, but it is painting an incorrect picture - PLPMTUD is de facto mandatory these days, and has been for years.
>
> While I'm all in favour of PLMTUD. It doesn't seem like a complete solution.
> PMTUD on the other hand supports all protocols on top of IP.
>
> Looking just at our specifications, we cannot state that PLMTUD can replace PMTUD. Take RFC2473 (IPv6 tunnelling) for example.

In addition to what Ole says here, I don’t think rfc1981bis is the right place to describe this.  6MAN is working on an update to IPv6 Node Requirements ( https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-clw-rfc6434-bis-00 ).  I think is a better place to describe the relationship between PMTUD and PLMTUD, where they work and don’t, and what the current recommendations are.  I hope you will contribute to that work.

Thanks,
Bob