Re: Last Call: <draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-10.txt> (Intellectual Property Rights in IETF Technology) to Best Current Practice

On 25/01/2017 23:07, Stewart Bryant wrote:

> On 25/01/2017 07:42, Jari Arkko wrote:
>> Stewart,
>>
>> Thanks again for your comments. Inline:
>>
>>> In the body of this document you say:
>>>
>>> j. "Internet-Draft": a temporary document used in the IETF and RFC
>>>       Editor processes, as described in [RFC2026].
>>>
>>> RFC2026 states that the drafts are removed from the directory, implying
>>> that after that time they are not available. Whilst that never really
>>> reflected reality, the IETF through its tools system actively makes these
>>> documents available in perpetuity. Given the legal nature of this draft
>>> we ought to properly note the permanent availability of these temporary
>>> documents.
>> OK. Do you have a text suggestion, or would dropping “temporary” in this
>> context be sufficient?
>
> Well we could tell the whole story: they are a temporary document for
> the purposes
> of actively progressing our work, but are persistent and remain beyond
> the publication of any
> RFC for the purposes of traceability.

I think just dropping "temporary" is sufficient. We know that I-Ds have
been accepted as prior art in court cases, so it's really irrelevant
for the purposes of the current draft. And I don't think we should do
a backdoor update of RFC 2026 here.

>>> Section 5.3.3 specifically calls out ADs but there are many others who
>>> fall into the same category: the GEN_ART team, the directorates of
>>> other areas such as SEC and OPS, and of course regular contributors that
>>> only read an out of area RFC when they need to use its contents.
>> Fair point.
>>
>>> If the text is specifically going to call out ADs it ought to also call
>>> out those that help ADs as part of their review process.

It's section 5.2.3 actually. But I agree, it could read

   By the nature of their office, IETF area directors or persons assisting
   them may become aware of Contributions late in the process ...

Regards,
   Brian