Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-lamps-eai-addresses-05.txt> (Internationalized Email Addresses in X.509 certificates) to Proposed Standard

On 23 Jan 2017, at 14:40, Alexey Melnikov wrote:

> Thank you for your thorough review! My comments/answers below:

I have a few comments as well. Basically I agree with what John writes, but let me add some additional spice.

>> (3) A MUST NOT requirement on the use of A-labels has often
>> been problematic because, as far as a protocol that does not
>> support IDNA is concerned, they are ordinary labels conforming
>> to the "preferred syntax" of RFC 1034/1035 (commonly known as
>> "LDH syntax").  As important, it is easily possible to construct
>> strings that look (lexically) like A-labels but are actually not
>> A-labels.   If the desire is to prevent the use of anything but
>> normal (i.e., not IDNA) LDH labels and U-labels, the restriction
>> that is probably needed is either "no label starting in 'xn--'"
>> or "no label starting in two letters followed by two
>> hyphen-minus characters".
>>
>> Requiring NR-LDH restrictions
>> probably solves the problem (although I'm not sure what "solely
>> ASCII character labels" means -- see (2) above) but requires
>> much more specific knowledge of the IDNA2008 protocol set
>> (particularly RFC 5890 in this case) than I predict readers of
>> this document will have.  See RFC 5890 and 5894 for more
>> discussion on this issue and other recent correspondence about
>> confusing and contradictory usage of "IDN" and "IDNA" and the
>> associated risks for additional details and risk descriptions.
>
> I think this needs to be discussed a bit more in the LAMPS WG, but you have a good point here.

I would extend to 'starting in "XX--" where X can be any ascii character" because who knows whether we need a completely different prefix one day.

Or you should explicitly note that ascii-only mailboxes do imply the litteral value and those strings MUST NOT be interpreted as A-Labels.

>> (5) It may be worth being explicit that there is no
>> normalization or case-folding permitted with the local-part.
>> The current text does say that but it may not be obvious to
>> someone not thoroughly familiar with other specs.
>
> Do you have a suggestion where this should be clarified?

What about here in section 4 (which I presume is referenced implicitly, or similar places where it is noted some transformation is done (between A-Labels and U-Labels):

OLD:

In setup for SmtpUtf8Mailbox, the email address local-part MUST be converted to UTF-8 if it is not already.

NEW:

In setup for SmtpUtf8Mailbox, the email address local-part MUST be converted to UTF-8 if it is not already. The local-part MUST NOT be transformed in any way, for example by doing case folding or normalization of any kind.

   Patrik