Re: multihoming, was IPv10

In message <20161230024719.36002.qmail@xxxxxxx>, "John Levine" writes:
> In article <m2poka5e9p.wl-randy@xxxxxxx> you write:
> >> We do have the technology to provide a CERT to every customer.  See
> >> SIDR.
> >
> >see frequent residential address reassignment
>
> That's not really a problem, since vanishingly few resi customers are
> multihomed.  The problem occurs with customers who are big enough to
> be multihomed but not so big that they have a staff that knows all
> of the magic of BGP and expensive routers.
>
> R's,
> John

And it should be possible for a router to request a CERT for the
addresses is it allocated by ISP A along with their assignment
and provide it to ISP B, ISP C ...  It just needs to supply
a public key for a private key it knows so the allocation process
can fill in the rest of the details and sign it.

Whether this ever gets down to residential equipement I don't know
but it would theoretically work.  There is no reason it couldn't
work.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC