Re: What is the right way to do Web Services discovery?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Jared Mauch <jared@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(Not going to address things where I perhaps disagree, but focus on areas of concern …)

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 10:04 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I am asking here as there seems to be a disagreement in HTTP land and DNS land.
>
> Here are the constraints as I see them:
>
> 0) For any discovery mechanism to be viable, it must work in 100% of cases. That includes IPv4, IPv6 and either with NAT.

I think must be sufficiently robust, where it’s defined as 98+%.  Studies on the operational networks seem to indicate this is the threshold is in the 95-99% range.  Saying 100% is a goal, but perhaps unrealistic.

​Let us remind ourselves of what the purpose of SRV records originally was. They were developed to improve reliability by enabling fault tolerance.​

​In the commercial world, systems have been expected to be four nines reliable as a matter of course for a decade. That isn't even state of the art, it is baseline. There are plenty of services built for 99.9999% up time. And that is actually essential because if you have a system that can fail at multiple points, the errors start to accumulate and pretty soon you have a system that is visibly unreliable.

Any Web Service discovery architecture has to be 100% compatible with the legacy infrastructure. Because if it isn't it is going to reduce reliability, not increase it.

Building in SRV means that the cost of achieving 99.99% uptime is reduced. ​But reducing the SLA to 98% would be vastly cheaper.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Mark Andrews <marka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

In message <CAMm+LwgtJuLdL_RKJNSVNGODGj8D25nfj0jkhnBLFS=aaXG+rA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
, Phillip Hallam-Baker writes:

> 1) Attempting to introduce new DNS records is a slow process. For practical
> purposes, any discovery mechanism that requires more than SRV + TXT is not
> going to be widely used.

Absolute total garbage.

Introducing a new DNS record isn't slow.  It take a couple of weeks.
Really.  Thats how long it takes to allocate a code point.

RFC 1034 compliant recursive servers and resolver libraries should
handle it the moment you start to use it.

​Well until you can persuade the ISPs to provide RFC1034 compliant interfaces in their Web Configuration tools, the majority of sites will not be able to use a new record.

Allocating records isn't the problem. The Internet is defined by running code, not allocated code points.​ Only a minority of network admins actually edit zone files these days.

​CAA was specified several years ago now. We are only just getting to the point where it is viable. ​

​It isn't my job to get your specifications deployed by having my systems break unless people upgrade. ​It isn't anyone's job.

Besides which, we already have an RFC that says use SRV+TXT - RFC 6763.