Re: [dmarc-ietf] IETF Mailing Lists and DMARC

On Thu, Nov 03, 2016 at 05:30:20PM +0000, Terry Zink wrote:

> The average Internet user doesn't understand DMARC. The average
> person on an Internet mailing list doesn't understand DMARC either,
> and even the average tech person on a mailing list doesn't
> understand DMARC. All they know is that their mailing list doesn't
> work, or that they have been unsubscribed. Only people who work on
> DMARC understand DMARC.

IETF contributers aren't exactly "the average Internet user"..... (Or
are Linux Kernel contributors, since kernel.org is one of the other
lists where your use of a domain that uses DMARC not considered the
mailing list administrators' problem; and degrading everyone else's
mailing list experience just for 'the average Internet user' is
something they have chosen not to do.)

> Asking the average person to switch their email address just so that
> they can participate in mailing lists isn't a solution.

It certainly isn't a long term solution; I think we all hope ARC can
get successfully deployed soon.

						- Ted