Re: IETF LC Gen-ART review of draft-harkins-salted-eap-pwd-06

Daniel Harkins <dharkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>   We may be talking past each other. But the reason that note is there
> is because this is a "balanced" PAKE where both sides use an identical
> representation of a credential. In this case, the credential is not
> the password, it's the hashed password.  So if an attacker gets a copy
> of the hashed password it can impersonate the client to the server and
> the server to the client. In other uses of hashed password databases
> the client sends the password across the wire/air so if an attacker
> somehow got ahold of the hashed password it would not be able to
> impersonate the client to the server (because the server is asking for
> the password not the hashed password).

(My apologies for not replying sooner.)

I suspect that I'm being caught up by the fact that I don't know the
design space of authentication protocols very well.  In any case, this
point is certainly not a reason to hold up the draft.

Dale