Re: TSVART review of draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation

On 30/08/2016 10:14, Joe Touch wrote:
> Hi, Fernando,
>

> On 8/29/2016 3:05 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
>> On 08/28/2016 01:33 PM, Joe Touch wrote:
>>> Hi, Fernando,
>>>
>>> First, I'd like to note something more important about this doc - the
>>> abstract itself argues that this change should update the core IPv6
>>> spec. Given that is already well underway, why is this document even
>>> needed?
>> The document says it clearly: "documenting the
>>    motivation for removing this functionality in the revision of the
>>    core IPv6 protocol specification."
>>
>> You just don't remove a feature from a spec silently, without a
>> rationale. And the place to include the rationale wasn't rfc2460bis --
>> hence this dcument.
>
> I don't agree. RFC2460bis should not need a roadmap to explain all of
> the associated changes and their rationales. That should be in 2460bis.

2460bis has pointers in such cases (and should include a pointer
to deprecate-atomfrag when it becomes an RFC). I don't think it is
helpful to readers of 2460bis to burden it with all the rationales.

> Otherwise, changes need to be made incrementally - that's a lot of extra
> load on the IETF and a lot of complexity to figure out why things are
> the way the end up.

I don't think 2460bis will be the end of history, any more than 791 was
the end of IPv4 history. Incremental change will continue.

Regards
     Brian