Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-core-etch-02.txt> (Patch and Fetch Methods for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)) to Proposed Standard

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 6:13 AM, The IESG <iesg-secretary@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> The IESG has received a request from the Constrained RESTful Environments
> WG (core) to consider the following document:
> - 'Patch and Fetch Methods for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)'
>  <draft-ietf-core-etch-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
> ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2016-09-07. Exceptionally, comments may be
> sent to iesg@xxxxxxxx instead. In either case, please retain the
> beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.
>
> Abstract
>

>   The existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) methods only
>   allow access to a complete resource, not to parts of a resource.  In
>   case of resources with larger or complex data, or in situations where
>   a resource continuity is required, replacing or requesting the whole
>   resource is undesirable.  Several applications using CoAP will need
>   to perform partial resource accesses.
>
>   Similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
>   GET method only allows the specification of a URI and request
>   parameters in CoAP options, not the transfer of a request payload
>   detailing the request.  This leads to some applications to using POST
>   where actually a cacheable, idempotent, safe request is desired.
>
>   Again similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol
>   (CoAP) PUT method only allows to replace a complete resource.  This
>   also leads applications to use POST where actually a cacheable,
>   possibly idempotent request is desired.
>
>   This specification adds new CoAP methods, FETCH, to perform the
>   equivalent of a GET with a request body; and the twin methods PATCH
>   and iPATCH, to modify parts of a CoAP resource.
>
> The file can be obtained via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-etch/
>
> IESG discussion can be tracked via
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-etch/ballot/

> The document has a reference to obsolete RFC 2616, this is intentional.

What is that supposed to mean?  The reference is intentionally wrong?

I looked at the text and it should be referencing section 9 of RFC7231,
not section 15 of RFC2616.  Just fix the reference or remove it entirely
(since RFC7252 already forked HTTP semantics for no reason whatsoever).

....Roy