RE: [dmarc-ietf] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dmarc-interoperability-15.txt> (Interoperability Issues Between DMARC and Indirect Email Flows) to Informational RFC

On Sunday, May 22, 2016 4:20 AM, John Levine wrote:

> Brian sent me a message/rfc822 wrapped version of his message, so I
> stuffed it into my Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail mailboxs after looking at
> it in Apple mail and Thuderbird and of course Alpine.  Gmail flattens
> it to look like a text forward, Yahoo loses the headers on the
> wrappped message, Hotmail and Apple mail show it as an attachment you
> can download, Thunderbird and Alpine show all the relevant bits, but
> not in a particularly attractive way.

Let me give a "half full" view of this "half empty" glass. This experiment shows that not all UA to the right thing, but some actually do. If the "forwarded" scenario becomes important, user pressure and competition will drive more UA to improve their handling -- or more customers to switch to systems that handle such messages correctly. So there is some hope.

-- Christian Huitema