Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

On 5/17/16 11:19 AM, Adam Roach wrote:
So I'm going to withhold expressing support for or opposition to the
proposed course of action until we hear from GLBTQ IETFers in light of
the information the IAOC is offering as rationale for continuing to
pursue Singapore as a venue.

Thanks, Adam.

I think that given the structures that we've got, etc., it's
extremely difficult for us, as an organization, to be particularly
good on these sorts of problems (diversity, inclusion, etc.), and
frankly I don't see how we can pull out of Singapore given how
we make decisions and do business.  That said, I will not be
going to Singapore as a matter of personal conscience (the
laws in Singapore criminalize relationships between men but not
between women) but regard that as a personal choice, not a protest
against the IETF.

As we continue to explore the relationship between open standards
and open source, it may be worth considering whether and how our
retrograde diversity policies affect how we're perceived in open
source communities.  (<- that's more of a statement of protest).

Melinda