Re: IESG meeting thoughts

thanks

On 17/05/16 11:57, Stephen Farrell wrote:

Hi Bert,

On 17/05/16 10:41, Bert Wijnen (IETF) wrote:
Jari, would you have some more info (maybe popinters) about

     The IESG also got an update on “Cryptowars” situation from Jeff
Schiller.

When I look up "cryptowars" on google, I get many many hits on a wide
variety of "cryptowars". So I'd like to know which specific ones
were discussed or cause us specific worries.

No pointers to the talk, sorry - Jeff was kind enough to speak without
notes or slides, (which was great:-). He recounted the 1990's era
history of crypto export controls, the issues covered in their "keys
under doormats" report, [1] and some consideration of more recent
events such as the USG/Apple case and how similar issues might play
out in future. (My own not at all startling prediction: ongoing
tensions between law enforcement and all of us working to improve
security and privacy are sort of inevitable it seems.)

 From my POV this was a great way to bring ADs who don't follow
the minutiae up to speed on these topics, but didn't set out any
particularly new direction for work in the IETF.

(Thanks go to Jeff for the talk and to Kathleen who organised it.)

Cheers,
S.

[1] http://115.69.40.134/files/editorials/files/MIT-CSAIL-TR-2015-026.pdf

Thanks,