Re: The ecosystem is moving

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Dave Crocker <dcrocker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5/13/2016 10:32 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
Why doesn't the IETF just operate an XMPP server on which IETF
participants can get accounts?   Layer 9, or is it just really hard?
The IETF is supposed to be about interoperability.  If XMPP has on-going utility problems with interoperability, the IETF should look for ways to fix them.

Sure, but this isn't necessarily an interop problem.   As far as I can tell, it's an operational problem: XMPP is not very popular, and there are no good XMPP services anymore.   Used to be I could just use Google Hangouts, but that stopped working last year.

To date, we really only have two services that demonstrate open (ie, multi-administration) interoperability at Internet scale:  email and DNS.

TCP, IP, UDP, NFS, DHCP, TLS, SSH, FTP, HTTP, NNTP, SIP, ...

Granted, there are issues with SIP, but we actually have a lot of really solid successes, not just SMTP, POP and DNS.

After this many years, that's sad.

If it were true, it would be!   :)