Re: Time to kill layer 2

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Time Warner Cable <Lee@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/14/16, 8:59 AM, "ietf on behalf of Phillip Hallam-Baker" <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx on behalf of phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>All this networking gear is presented to me as black boxes over which
>>I have absolutely no control (which is fine-ish) and no visibility.
>
> What visibility do you want? Error messages on the printer's console?
> Syslog messages?
> SNMP traps? Oh, apparently not, since "SNMP isn't available most ordinary people."

What I would like is something like a WiFi certification scheme that
means 'there is a collection of technology here that is sufficient and
complete'.

Right now I would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get SNMP
support because it is positioned as a differentiator between SOHO and
'enterprise' class devices.

Getting the feedback necessary to make it work should not be an
'enterprise' feature.

>>What should have happened many moons ago was that DHCP should have
>>become a bidirectional protocol or a bootstrap to a bidirectional
>>protocol. So when a printer joins the network, it authenticates and
>>tells the network what it is. And this is all defined in one set of
>>specifications from one organization, none of which assumes that
>>security is an 'advanced', 'optional' or 'enterprise' feature.
>
> See Homenet.

That seems to be premised on the assumption that the home network will
be a simplified version of today's enterprise network rather than
having far more moving parts.