Re: Qualifying for NomCom

On 04/07/2016 11:21 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/04/2016 08:52, Michael Richardson wrote:
>     > On the other hand, I realize now that previous thread went on longer
>     > than I remembered, and there was a proposal that we (I, probably)
>     > construct an RFC3933-style process experiment and let that run for a
>     > while. If it works well, we can codify it by adding it to RFC7437bis.
>     > So I'll do that. If anyone wants to volunteer to collaborate on it,
>     > please contact me directly.
>
> Yes, let's do that!
>
> It would awesome if we could say definitely that the new rules
> contribute to more volunteers before we actually use them.

That's not quite how RFC3933 works. You'd *actually* run the experimental
procedure for (say) one cycle, with automatic reversion to RFC7437 unless
RFC7437bis was approved. I think it's a good idea. A one-year experiment
affects ~half the IESG and IAB seats so is highly unlikely to lead to
disaster.

Two suggestions:

- Scope objections and aborts to the time between the announcement of the final list of volunteers and the selection of the comittee. This closes the loophole that the powers-that-be can look at the selected nomcom, say "we don't like this group", and force a re-selection by spuriously objecting.

- The timing says "This experiment is defined to last for one year, starting and ending with the constitution of the next NomCom after this document is approved and published." - this is neither determinate nor grammatical, I think - in particular, it starts and ends at the same time.

I suggest "This experiment is defined to start with the first call for volunteers after IESG approval of this document, and ends with the selection of the nomcom from that volunteer pool. Evaluation of the experiment will be done after the selection process of the formed nomcom completes."

Otherwise - go for it!

   Brian

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.