Re: Fuzzy words [was Uppercase question for RFC2119 words]

Brian, I think your note goes to how important it is to write clearly
and to get a lot of eyes on it before we publish it.  Well-written
documents, with or without 2119 key words, and with or without
lower-case look-alikes, can still be clear.  Fuzzily written documents
will be fuzzy.

In particular:

> they mean? It can be very unclear. If a node receives a message containing
> an element covered in the spec by "allowed" instead of "OPTIONAL", is the
> receiver supposed to interoperate or to reject the message?

Well, this is where 2119 advises that we *use* the key words when
interoperability is at stake.  It's fine to be fuzzy when it doesn't
matter, though even then, I'd argue for more explanation:

   Every frobotz MUST contain a valid bleeg.  The glorp field in the
   frobotz is an unsigned integer that is normally between 0 and 666,
   inclusive.  Values greater than 666 are allowed, but recipients
   using older software might not be able to handle such values.
   When processing a frobotz that does not meet the requirements in
   section 3.1.4, it is permissible to reject the frobotz outright, or to
   attempt to process the parts of it that make sense; the choice is
   an implementation decision.  However, any frobotz that does not
   contain a valid bleeg MUST be rejected.

That sort of thing.

Barry