Re: dane-openpgp 2nd LC resolution

In message <56E768E6.5090905@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Doug Barton writes:
> On 03/14/2016 04:18 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> > Yes, you are about 1.5 years late. And your arguments are (un)fortunately
> > not new arguments. Since the archive on this draft is rather huge, I can
> > understand that you missed part of this discussion. So for completeness
> > sake, I will answer your questions again.
>
> Thank you for your patience in explaining your reasoning, and again, I'm
> sorry for coming late to the party. And thanks as well for confirming
> that my memory is correct ... at one time I did hear that this topic was
> going in the direction of signatures rather than certs. Unfortunate that
> I didn't follow it closer.
>
> Regarding what you said and what your goals are, I think that we are
> pretty far apart. I will send a detailed response to your message on the
> DANE list soon. In all likelihood I will also create a new I-D with my
> ideas specified in more detail. Perhaps what is needed is more than one
> experiment. :)
>
> In regards to the current last call, while your explanations do help to
> alleviate a few of my concerns, in large part I am still not
> enthusiastic about this version of the draft proceeding.
>
> In particular I think the concern about these RRs being used for DDOS
> amplification remains. There is no mechanism in place currently in any
> name server software that I am aware of to limit responses to queries in
> the manner you describe (only send answers if the query comes over TCP
> or with DNS-Cookies). Further, I don't see that happening any time soon.

You just limit response sizes in general.  BIND 9.11 has
"nocookie-udp-size <integer>;" which sets a EDNS response size limit
for queries w/o a valid server cookie.  If the response doesn't fit
you do the normal fallback to TCP.  With EDNS both sides can set
limits on what they are willing to send/receive.

Amplification controls should be independent of qname and qtype.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx