Re: Gen-Art LC review: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata-04

Hi Robert,

thanks for the review, I apologize for replying late, please see my responses inline:

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
> like any other last call comments.

> <http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/area/gen/trac/wiki/GenArtfaq>.
>
> Document: draft-ietf-netmod-yang-metadata-04
> Reviewer: Robert Sparks
> Review Date: 1Mar2016
> IETF LC End Date: 9Mar2016
> IESG Telechat date: not yet scheduled

> 1) I might be missing something obvious, but the introduction has two
> statements that don't seem aligned:
>
> " Values of annotations are not limited to strings; any YANG built-in or
> derived type may be used for them"
> and
> "annotations are scalar values and cannot be further structured".

These two statements are not in conflict: YANG data types (built-in or
derived) apply to scalar values.

> If I'm not missing something, that may be more of an open issue than a nit.
>
> 2) The shepherd writeup calls out the tension in figuring out whether to
> make this an extension or a new built-in statement. Please consider
> capturing the reasoning for the path you chose in the draft itself.

I will try, the main reason was that most people felt that introducing a
new built-in statement is too big a change for the upcoming maintenance
version of YANG (1.1) and YANG 2.0 is nowhere in sight.

Thanks, Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C