Re: Call for Comment: <draft-iab-rfc3677bis> (IETF ISOC Board of Trustee Appointment Procedures)

On 25/02/2016 07:56, Barry Leiba wrote:
> The main substantive changes are the fourth board appointment and this
> paragraph:
>
>    If ISOC further modifies [ISOC-By-Laws] concerning the number of IAB
>    appointments to the ISOC Board or the timing thereof, the IAB will
>    make reasonable modifications to the processes embodied in this
>    document, without requiring further modification to this document.
>    Such changes will be announced via an IAB statement.
>
> While this is certainly expedient, it's quite open-ended, entirely
> left up to the judgment of the sitting IAB about what "reasonable
> modifications" might mean.  Certainly, with a by-law change that adds
> a board appointment, most anyone would consider it reasonable to just
> add that appointment with the appropriate periodicity, and it's
> reasonable not to have to rev this document for that.

Yes, but I think this needs to be circumscribed. Wouldn't it be better
to require that BCP 77 is appropriately updated within 12 months in
such a case, i.e. trust the IAB to do the right thing but also commit
to updating the rules accordingly?

    Brian