Re: I-D Action: draft-hardie-iaoc-iab-update-00.txt

On 2/3/2016 8:39 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
But that doesn't need to
be the IAB chair in every case, and this is one where I think we might
get a benefit if we didn't require the chair."

Hi Andrew - I don't necessarily disagree with this - but, the IAOC and the IETF trust are linked in a very interesting way. While it might be useful (and doable) to provide a "pluggable" IAOC IAB member, because of the way the trust is currently structured I don't think that's a useful approach.

Individuals shall be eligible to be Trustees only for so long as they are Eligible Persons.

"Eligible Person" means, subject to Section 6.1, a then-current member of the IAOC, duly appointed and in good standing in accordance with the procedures of the IAOC established pursuant to IETF document BCP 101, RFC 4071 (April 2005), and any duly approved successor documents, updates or amendments thereto, including the RFC issued to update BCP-101 to reflect the establishment of this Trust.

The IAB, IETF and ISOC chairs are members of both the trust and the IAOC - the latter on an ex-officio basis and the former based on their membership on the IAOC and their concurrence to serve as a trustee.

The position of the IAB, IETF and ISOC chairs are more or less stable. The IETF chair generally changes no more than once every two years, the IAB chair no more than once a year. That stability is useful for both the IAOC and the trust - indeed, BCP101 has the appointed members serving for 2 years. If you desire to swap the IAB chair for some other member of the IAB, you will need to address that stability issue, and, given that BCP101 is NOT an IAB document, you will have to convince the community that your proposed changes are in the best interest of the community, and not just in the best interests of the IAB or the IAB chair.

You *do* have a tool under IAB control to assign an IAB member to the IAOC: the IAB (per BCP 101) appoints one member of the IAOC. Generally, you've gone to the community for this member, but there appears to be no requirement in BCP101 that you do this, you could instead appoint the member from the body of the IAB with no community approval required.

In any event, the preamble of the draft should address the following:

1) Why should the IAB continue to have an ex-officio member? What interests of the IETF are served by allowing an ex-officio member from the IAB? 2) Why should the IAB ex-officio member not necessarily be the IAB chair? How does the selection of the non-IAB chair ex-officio member occur in a way that serves the IETF's interests? 3) What is the term of any non-chair ex-officio member? Do they carry over if their term on the IAB ends? May they be replaced at the IAB chair's pleasure? 4) Should the IAB continue to have the power to appoint two voting members? Do the conditions that were in place at the inception of the IAOC still argue for the current voting structure of the IAOC and IETF Trust?

The draft addresses the benefits - sort of - to the IAB's concept of its new structure (e.g. programs), but other than noting that a non-IAB chair may be more capable in the financial realm, doesn't really address the rest of these.

I'd suggest reforming this document as proposed language changes to BCP101 and let the community whack on it that way. The changes to BCP101 can't be a standalone document without explaining how BCP101 changes and the full impact of those changes. The body of the draft should propose chapter and line changes to BCP101 along the lines of "Section xx of BCP101 (RFCxxx) is deleted and replaced with the following text"....

Alternately, open up the current RFC for changes and publish the successor document.

Later, Mike