Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-oggopus-10.txt> (Ogg Encapsulation for the Opus Audio Codec) to Proposed Standard

On 01/28/2016 04:07 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
> So either the open source communities needs to be able to change the
> text, or it does not need to be able to change the text, or it has
> created rules for itself where it needs to be permitted to change the
> text even though it does not actually want to change.
>
> The first, not changing the text, is already covered.
> The second, changing the text, is not something I or the IETF community
> support.

It depends on your definition of "changing the text". There's a lot of
pretty reasonable changes you can make to get the RFC text to better fit
within a new document without changing the meaning. Any of these sure
beats "paraphrasing a section of the RFC" from a compatibility point of
view.

> The third would seem to be a different problem, and asking the IEtF to
> change its rules for that seems a VERY strange answer.

There's certainly a bit of that as well. But keep in mind there's no
"chair of the open source community" who can change all the rules.

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc