Re: IETF mail server and SSLv3

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM, tom p. <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

There has probably been no idea more damaging to the security of the
Internet than the idea that end-to-end is the only way to do security.

Email is an intrinsically store and forward system. Every network mail
system has had at least three parties and Internet mail has had a four
corner model since the early 90s.

It is not possible to provide protection against traffic analysis at
any layer above transport using existing standards. People
periodically make claims to have done so, none of their schemes to
date has been remotely practical.

Nor is it possible to protect content against interception at the
server nodes without message layer security. S/MIME and OpenPGP are
end-to-end for a reason but neither protects the message headers and
even if the subject line is encrypted, the From and To headers leak
much information.

So if we are going to start to get a grip on email security we need
BOTH transport layer encryption AND end to end message layer
encryption.

TLS is not a substitute for S/MIME or OpenPGP. But even with both in
place, our current infrastructure is unsatisfactory. We don't have a
well supported security policy infrastructure. And to provide really
solid traffic analysis defense, there should be link layer encryption
in addition with flood fill.

Back in 1992 when I started doing crypto, the fastest machines I could
get my hands on (which were among the fastest existing at the time)
were barely able to do RSA1024 without serious impact on performance.
Today I am demonstrating a system that makes use of a PKI with 11
separate key pairs just to demonstrate configuration of email security
for one person on two devices.

Times have changed. Back in 1992 we had to make choices and
compromises to make the WebPKI work. Those constraints haven't been
relevant in a decade. With the new ECC work in CFRG, I can do full
strength crypto out to a $5 Rapsberry Pi 0 without concern. And it
isn't an insurmountable obstacle even on the Arduino class devices.

Lets stop doing either/or security and start doing 'all of the above' security.