Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

On 1/22/2016 1:08 AM, Eggert, Lars wrote:
> On 2016-01-20, at 23:41, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> What we really need is a way for many interfaces to be able to
>> "register" with their local web server, to reserve URL prefixes, etc.
>
> Right. Or the ability to run multiple web servers on different ports
> in a way that results in a priori known URLs, such as result from
> assigning unique ports and then including them in the URLs. (That is why
> I earlier in the thread proposed to start allowing service names in
> addition to ports in URLs.)

This has nothing to do with merging .well-known and SRV.

The need to run multiple URI namespaces on a single webserver with
dynamic registration is a path coordination issue. The URI already
provides more than enough information to differentiate these uses by
path. Yes, this is a problem, but not solved by the proposed merging.

--

The proposed merging of .well-known and SRV doesn't make sense for URIs.
A URI starts with a scheme - many of which are IANA port services BUT

.well-known is defined in the context of *one* scheme. It makes even
less sense to merge these with SRV names.

Joe