Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

> Also, any expert review that takes longer than, say, one month should
> be red-flagged in some way. RFC 5226 talks about "a few weeks" and
> "a reasonable period of time" but doesn't really have teeth, so
> it's unclear how long is too long and when a delay is itself a valid
> groaund for appeal.
>
> It's late in the day, but I think draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis
> should fix that. Like:
>
> OLD:
>    Appeals of protocol parameter registration decisions can be made
>    using the normal IETF appeals process...
>
> NEW:
>    Appeals against protocol parameter registration decisions and
>    unreasonable delays in such decisions can be made using the normal
>    IETF appeals process...

That won't work without defining "unreasonable".

Additionally, time of year matters, e.g.:

	- the US often goes on a 2-week hiatus at the end of the year

	- the EU often goes on a 4+ week hiatus in late summer

So as long as we accept that some regions have people that will be
inaccessible for several weeks in a row, it's not reasonable to expect
that reviews will happen on a 1-week turnaround 365 days a year.

Joe