Re: On IETF policy for protocol registries

> On Jan 18, 2016, at 11:07 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> RFC5785 specifies a registry for prefixes in the /.well-known/ space
> of a HTTP server.
>
> So for example, I have registered mmm as the SRV prefix for the
> Mathematical Mesh portal protocol. This is used to resolve
> transactions that are bound to an account identifier in RFC822 style
> format. e.g. alice@xxxxxxxxxxx.
>
> A service provider might advertise service on host1 and host2 with DNS
> entries as follows:
>
> _mmm._tcp.example.com  SRV 0 20 80 host1.example.com
> _mmm._tcp.example.com  SRV 0 80 80 host2.example.com
> mmm.example.com CNAME host1.example.com
>
> It is natural for the client resolving alice@xxxxxxxxxxx to use the
> following Web Service Endpoints:
>
> http://host1.example.com/.well-known/mmm/
> http://host2.example.com/.well-known/mmm/
>
> In effect we are providing the SRV prefix to the HTTP server using the
> URI request line in the same way that we use the Host: header to tell
> the server which service is being accessed (example.com in either case
> as following the prcedent set for CNAME lookup. we give the original
> DNS query name, not the internal DNS translations).

> Now people may or may not like this particular proposal. Heck, I might
> not even like it after I have used it for a while. But it is certainly
> based on the Internet architecture to the extent any of it has been
> written down. It is consistent with current practice and with the
> requirements of the RFCs I have read. Nobody who has objected to this
> approach has ever given me a technical argument as to why it is wrong.
>
> My problem is that while the SRV registry is first come, the
> .well-known registry is 'specification required'. This creates two
> problems:
>
> 1) It is quite possible that following current registration practices,
> someone else might apply for mmm and the registration would be
> granted. And then my only recourse might be a lawsuit.
>
> 2) I may not be able to provide the specification, either because the
> protocol is experimental or proprietary.

One approach would be to register "/.well-known/_srv/" using a specification, then have that spec allow anyone with an SRV registration to use (for example) "/.well-known/_srv/_tcp/_mmm" without further registration.  Note: this is just a strawman syntax; there's a nice bikeshed available about how many underscores to use.

--
Joe Hildebrand