Re: Hotel situation

On 12/16/15 8:49 AM, John Levine wrote:
> Actually, taxis in Buenos Aires are really cheap.  A week's worth of
> taxis won't cost as much as the $160 reciprocity fee that US passport
> holders have to pay.

For individual, self-funded participants marginal increases
in costs (beyond the necessary costs to attend) can turn
painful costs into prohibitive costs.  The decisions that
we're making about these things are implicitly decisions
that we're making about IETF participation.

I continue to believe that deprioritizing meetings would go
a long way towards addressing some number of problems,
but having beat this particular drum for some number of years
it's clear that ain't gonna happen.  But I'm pretty confident
that as long as meeting participation is basically required in
order to move work forward and as long as the meetings are
not optimized around getting work done, there will continue
to be issues.

Melinda