Re: For Review: IESG Statement on Guidance on Face-to-Face and Virtual Interim Meetings

On 11/12/2015 22:59, Benoit Claise wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>> Hi,
>>
>> I find these two statements somewhat inconsistent:
>>
>>> Extended sequences of virtual interim meetings should be the exception and not the norm
>>> Recurring meetings (recommended if much debate is expected), may be scheduled together, with a single announcement.
> I don't understand the inconsistency.
> For example in NETMOD, we scheduled bi-weekly meetings until all open issues on a specific document were addressed.
> It doesn't mean that by default, we have recurrent meetings, and there is no agenda, we cancel the call.
>
> Maybe you have an issue with the term "recommended"?

Yes. "recommended" and "exception" are really inconsistent with each other.
I think the text should be a bit more nuanced. Something like

Extended sequences of virtual interim meetings should be considered when
numerous specific issues need to be debated, but are not the normal
mode of operation.

. Recurring meetings (used only if much debate is expected), may be scheduled together, with a single announcement.

>> Also, I think that in the bullet list for virtual interim meetings, a
>> significant point (for some of us) is missing. Something like:
>>
>> . IETF participants live in many different time zones. This must be taken into
>> account when scheduling. Recurring meetings should be arranged at varying
>> times of day to share the discomfort of late night or early morning calls
>> fairly.
> We would need the equivalent of this sentence, currently listed for the face-to-face meeting:
>
>      o The meetings must be scheduled (location/timing) with fair
>        access for all working group participants.
>
> Regarding your proposed sentence, we should trust the WG chairs to do what's right, instead of imposing more rules.
> With a global community participation, scheduling calls becomes a nightmare.
> A WG chair knows who the key players are in his WG (editor, authors, individuals in favor of the different solutions, etc.),
> i.e. the persons without without conclusions could not reached ... simply because the discussions would be repeated if they
> would be excluded.
> The advice to my chairs wrt to interim meetings is:
>     - to have a successful interim, make sure all the key players are involved/included (*)
>     - be fair in scheduling for everybody
>     - anyway we validate the decision on the mailing list for the people who can't attend.
>
> In the past, I scratched my head on trying to express (*). All tentative sentence appeared as being non-inclusive.
> So I would go for a generic sentence, maybe something such as:
>     The meetings must be scheduled (timing) with fair access for all working group participants.

Sure. As long as the point is recognized.

Rgds,
   Brian