Re: UTA: Server certificate management (Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-05.txt>)

>In any case, absent DNSSEC validated SRV records, there is no good
>way to deploy transport security for *hosted* submission and imap
>services without users manually selecting the underlying provider
>hostnames as the service endpoint.

Yup.  We're exactly where we are now, he said tautologically.

>With DNSSEC validated SRV records, one may as well use DANE.  That
>said, DNSSEC is as yet not a ubiquitous viable option for mobile
>clients, we need many years of upgrades of public WiFi networks
>before one might be able to expect DNSSEC signed SRV records to
>reach one's mobile device.

I wouldn't disagree, but I also don't see anything on the horizon
better than SRV+DNSSEC.  It's an architectural fact that mail servers
host lots of domains, and that server configuration has historically
been pretty casual.

R's,
John