Re: UTA: Server certificate management (Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-uta-email-tls-certs-05.txt>)

Den 02. des. 2015 13:16, skrev Alexey Melnikov:
> On 02/12/2015 12:06, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

>>> The key word in that text is "another".  This does not require the
>>> server to have a certificate that matches this identifier, provided
>>> there is some other some suitable identifier.  It provides additional
>>> flexibility, not a constraint.
>>>
>>> NOTE HOWEVER, that use of the server name from the SRV record as
>>> a DNS-ID reference identifier offers no security at all absent
>>> DNSSEC.  So "another" might become "only" in that case.  The 6186
>>> approach to address lack of trustworthy identifiers basically boils
>>> down to "ask the user".  Once the user confirms the SRV record it
>>> becomes pinned, and the server name becomes one of the reference
>>> identifiers.
>> Which server name? I couldn't tell from this draft either which would be
>> presented or which would be stored (I assume you'd want them to be the
>> same).
>>
>> Actually this highlights another problem: The draft claims to replace
>> section 2.4 of RFC 2591, "Server identity check", but fails to provide
>> replacement text for a crucial part of that document:
>>
>> "If the match fails, the client SHOULD either ask for explicit user
>>     confirmation, or terminate the connection and indicate the server's
>>     identity is suspect."
>>
>> This document doesn't say anything about what should happen once the
>> match is finished.
> It does by reference, see RFC 6125.

OK, now I see it: It says (3.3 intro) "Matching is performed according
to the rules specified in Section 6 of [RFC6125], including "certificate
pinning" and the procedure on failure to match". Consider this issue
satisfied.

>>> My question upthread was whether this draft continues that legacy,
>>> or departs from it.
>>>
>>> HOWEVER:

>>> I am not aware of any adoption of RFC 6186.  Are there are any MUAs
>>> actually doing RFC 6186 SRV lookups?  If there are none, is it worth
>>> debating?
>> The draft claims to have a normative dependency on RFC 6186. If the use
>> of RFC 6186 is not worth debating, the reference is worth deleting.
> There are some uses of RFC 6186. How widespread? I don't know.

Note - I don't have an opinion on the use or non-use of 6186. What I'm
saying is that if we reference it, we need to have something the
providers will be able to practice.