Rob Blokzijl Dies Peacefully Aged 72

Dear colleagues,

After a long illness Internet Pioneer dr. Rob Blokzijl died yesterday.

Rob Blokzijl started his career as a nuclear physicist, where he catalyzed the collaborations needed for building the networks that served scientific data exchange. Armed with that experience he became a founding member of the RIPE forum in 1989. He would be its chair, its primus inter pares, for 25 years to come. He was at the cradle of numerous initiatives that shaped the Internet, such as the creation of the first regional Internet registry in the world (RIPE NCC). He was one of the key persons for the European Internet and was involved in AMS-IX, in NATO, in ICANN, and various boards and committees. This year he was awarded the Postel Service Award for his pioneering work, 25 years of RIPE leadership, and for enabling countless others to spread the Internet across Europe and beyond.

When Rob was awarded the Jonathan B. Postel Service Award this year, I asked if I could play a role in the ceremony. I did that because the Rob is what I imagine Jon Postel had been: A man with a vision about the Internet who inspired others through his competence, common sense, and personality. Rob was an important mentor throughout my career in the Internet and I was proud and happy that it was possible to pay him respect publicly by handing him the Postel Service Award.

Our colleagues at RIPE NCC have published an obituary and a site for those who wish to share their own tribute to Rob. To quote Daniel Karrenberg from the RIPE NCC "I am sure Rob would wish to see positive, even somewhat lighthearted and anecdotal contributions.".

—Olaf Kolkman

Olaf M. Kolkman
Chief Internet Technology Officer
Internet Society