Re: We need an architecture, not finger pointing.

Hm... let me try this
(with apologies for apparent abuse and delay)

>> Actually we need to validate two assertions:
>>
>> * That the mail came from the stated author, e.g. PHB.
>> * That the mail was relayed by the IETF mailing list.
>
> Well, yes, but those are easy.

Are they?  If you can read this, then the first bullet was not applied, however
easy doing so would have been.

>   What's hard is demonstrating that the message
> that the list relayed is the same in a semantic sense as the message that Phill
> sent, even though it has the kind of changes that lists make, a tag in the
> subject line, a footer at the bottom, and attachments stripped.

That's hard indeed.  We're probably better off just trusting the verified
sender identity (second bullet).  The author could have vouched the sender with
a conditional signature...

Ale