RE: Google threatens to break Gmail

Neils, the question is, why is it so hard to set up your own mail server and have it basically do what you need?   Is it because it's really that hard, or is it because the right tools don't exist, or the problem hasn't been properly reduced to practice?   I think it's more the latter than the former.   It sounds like Postfix has improved since I last did a Postfix configuration, but it's still got too many knobs, because it addresses too many disjoint use cases.   And it looks like mailpile is starting to wrestle with the identity problem in a useful way, and there is other interesting work going on in the usability/identity/security areas, but I'm not hearing people here talk about how that's being worked on in the IETF.   I would hate to see a bunch of ad-hoc protocols with no spec and no interop.