Re: Google threatens to break Gmail

On 25/10/2015 02:33, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 08:36:31PM +0200, Martin Rex wrote:
>> I do not see any increased potential for phishing
>> Rather the opposite -- DMARC could be abused to give users a false
>> sense of security and fall to the flawed assumption that it would
>> authenticate the EMail author (which it doesn't).

Just for fun, I looked at a small sample of spam: the most recent 24
messages that gmail itself tagged as junk.

No false positives.
4 tagged as DMARC pass.
5 tagged as DMARC fail (gmail does not currently obey p=discard)
15 with no DMARC status.

Which suggests that DMARC status is pretty much orthogonal to spam detection,
on this small sample.

   Brian