Re: DNS names, was Last Call on _openpgpkey

--On Thursday, September 24, 2015 16:28 -0400 Andrew Sullivan
<ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 08:18:49AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> And the DNS is supposed to preserve the case of entered
>> labels.
>
> […]
>
>> Later versions of BIND 9 do that to the RRset level and it
>> would be possible to do it to the RR level if needed.
>
> I am not confident that doing it to the RR level would be a
> good idea in the DNS, and I'm not sure that the DNS protocol
> is sufficiently carefully described that making the
> distinction between RRs and the RRset in this way would be
> successfully interoperable.  Certainly, this is an area that's
> underspecified,

Speaking as someone who, in this area, is far more qualified to
be a victim than an expert, can we please get things that
affects what people can and cannot reasonably expect written
down somewhere, perhaps as an update to RFC 2181?  It seems to
me that differences in expectations, inconsistent
implementations, and inconsistent interpretations of what the
standards actually require, turn rather quickly into fundamental
interoperability issues (and those often turn into security
vulnerabilities), rather than mere issues of different choices.

Expectations about case preservation under different scenarios,
with comments about how strong those expectations should be
given various implementations (including but not limited to
earlier versions of BIND) would seem to be candidates.  I don't
know how many DNS implementations are now taking U-labels or
even UTR-46-conformant strings, and input for zone files, but
some comments about expectations there, especially when a label
is mostly, but not entirely, ASCII characters, may be in order
too [1].  I assume that you, Mark, the leadership of DNSOP, and
others have much longer list [2].

best,
   john

[1] It is very clear in the IDNA documents, but IDNA was written
so that DNS implementations didn't need to pay attention to it
and apparently, some haven't.

[2] I observe that one recent document got all the way through a
DNS-related WG and into IETF Last Call with an included
assumption that it was not possible to put a non-ASCII character
in a DNS label, something that I think is very clear in 1034 but
that 2181 makes even more explicit.  The DNS expert community
clearly has got some education to do, both inside and outside
the IETF.