Re: Is IAB MarNEW workshop transparent enough?

>On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 12:10 PM, G
>
>​​
>öran Eriksson AP <goran.ap.eriksson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>At the IETF Prague meeting, a feedback in the saag meeting was that a
>transcript was not enough and it should be possible to follow the meeting
>live remotely.
>

>​Hi G​​öran,
>

>I was not in saag last time because of a conflict, so I missed the
>feedback there.  Can you summarize why it being followed live was
>considered crucial?  As it stands, the papers for the workshop are
>already available, the presentations will be, and the transcript
> will give the discussion.  Given that, I'm wondering what data exactly
>you feel will be missing from the record.

Hi Ted,

I’ll try my best to describe the comments made. I will also separately
outline personal reflections on this matter:

1. Comments during the meeting.

As the MarNEW workshop was presented, there was a question about the
possibility to participate remotely. One answer give was that to
participate, one had to submit a paper and the organisers had not
considered remote participation for those who had gotten papers accepted.

A response to this was a question how those who had not submitted a paper
could follow since the subject as well as the opinions and statements of
participants, i.e the discussion itself, is of interest for many.

The response was that a transcript will be made public after the meeting.

2. Personal reflections

What data will be missing of course depends on how accurate and detailed
the transcript will be. You probably know the plans for the MArNEW
transcript better than I, :-).

One could assume that especially relevant in this case are opinions of
different stakeholders.

Personally, I can understand the difficulty in enabling live TV broadcast
of such an event as well as near impossibility to cover fully the
discussions in smaller teams, breaks and similar that often takes place in
this type of tet-a-tet’s.

However, I think it is of value for both IETF and GSMA to go that extra
mile in this case to ensure “data” is open. It is quite likely that that
is the intent  and plan of both IAB and GSMA but it is not evident from
the information available so far, which is why I felt a need to put the
question(s).

Best Regards
Göran