Re: Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

On 17/09/15 07:27, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, John Levine wrote:
>
>>> J. Levine, [3] 20150909
>>> - LHS only to be interpreted by recipient MTA, claims that this draft
>>>  breaks that
>>>  SF: This draft explicitly repeats exactly the MUST NOT required. A
>>>  claim that the choice to hash the LHS as it is breaks this SMTP
>>>  protocol requirement seems wrong.
>>
>> This draft mandates that the DNS publishes only a small handful of the
>> addreses that an SMTP server would accept.
>
> I don't see that. The -05 draft does not do lowercasing. So all
> addresses are accepted unless you find a sha256 hash collision. Can you
> give an example of an address that would not be accepted by this
> document but would be accepted by an SMTP server?
>
>>  RFC 5321 describes how
>> local-parts are interpreted, and this draft doesn't do what 5321 says.
>
> We do not interpret/modify the local-part - we only hash it.

I think the above is repetitive of points already made in the LC.

Now, as it happens I (still) don't get John's position on this
but I plan to follow up on that off list and would suggest that
we can all do that for now, given that there will be another LC
before this draft proceeds.

S.