Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

I really believe this discussion completely misses the point.

RFC 1984 says:

   Even if escrowed encryption schemes are used, there is nothing to
   prevent someone from using another encryption scheme first.
   Certainly, any serious malefactors would do this; the outer
   encryption layer, which would use an escrowed scheme, would be used
   to divert suspicion.

In other words: even the most Byzantine escrow system is useless in the
face of a bad actor who chooses to implement and use a non-escrowed
system, concealing its existence using a government-approved escrowed
system on top. Escrow is only useful against law-abiding people who
trust the government(s) in the first place.

Regards
   Brian