Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsop-onion-tld-00.txt> (The .onion Special-Use Domain Name) to Proposed Standard

On Aug 12, 2015, at 1:16 PM, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

​If you're willing to put a statement like it in the draft, that works for me; it would need to include a slightly broader commitment (not to step on other syntax bits, like the IDNA prefix etc), but I think the broader statement would go to exactly the same goal.

Given that this is about Onion Registration rather than about Tor Project, some wording like

“Onion addresses are [blah description blah] and which are consistent with DNS syntax limitations of 63 character labels..."

…which I think would impose a constraint whilst being aimed at the supposedly correct target.

I’ll copy Nick on this to be doubly certain.

I'm sorry to read in the above link that you feel beaten up by this; I've tried to be quite careful in noting that I think the fault here is in the registry itself, not this registration.  There were some unanticipated consequences to this that this registration brings to light; we now ​need to deal with those.   That's all that's going on.

Obliged.  From this end there is a clear and present deadline as described at:

…and I hope that amendments sympathetic with resolving this issue can be made without requiring a complete "go-around" cycle.

Thanks!

    - alec

Alec Muffett
Security Infrastructure